Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Crab Lasagna




A couple of days ago, I mentioned that we had been to a friends' house for dinner....which was Fresh Crab!! I took a photo....it isn't the best...but the poor crab was naked.....and well, the other side just looked wrong!

We are so fortunate to live where we can actually get fresh crab, and most of the time, I don't think about it! Before Max went back to trucking, he was a Commercial Fisherman. Sadly, now, the fishing industry is about gone. It was slowing down in the early '80's, which is why we moved to Florence.

But there are times we can't get fresh crab.....and canned crab is all the crab we can get. We hate that! So, I have this wonderful recipe which I use whenever we have company coming from inland....and, I can't get anything but canned! It is easy, and it actually goes together fast....AND, it is a great make-ahead dinner!


CRAB LASAGNA


1/2 lb Lasagna Noodles, cooked


2 cans frozen Shrimp Soup...(I use Cream of Mushroom)
2 cans Crab Meat

1- 8oz package of Cream Cheese

2 cups Small Curd Cottage cheese

1 egg, beaten

1 tsp Basil

1 medium onion, chopped

1/4 tsp salt

dash of pepper

Tomato Slices

1 1/2 cups Cheddar Cheese, grated.


Cook noodles in boiling, salted water. Drain and rinse with cold water. Thaw the soup and heat (if using canned Cream of Mushroom soup...just open it and pop it into a bowl)

Add crab to soup, and mix it in.

Mix Cream Cheese until soft, in a separate bowl. Add Cottage Cheese, egg, basil, onion, salt and pepper.

In a buttered baking dish, place one layer of noodles, than a layer of half of the cheese mixture. Add the soup and crab. Cover with a layer of noodles, then the remaining cheese mixture, and top with tomato slices.

Bake uncovered for 15 minutes at 350*. Than add the grated cheese, and cook for 1/2 hour longer, until bubbly. Let set for 5 - 10 minutes before serving. Serves 8.


I serve this with a green salad, and garlic bread.....hmmmmmmmmmmm, it is looking good....might just make it one night this week!

Life here is just buzzing along! We are busy trying to get things settled around our trip to see our kids the end of September. Max is spending his time telling me that we "don't have that much room in the trunk"...but really, we will be gone for a month, and I have to have some something to do, and a good variety of it!

I am still sorting stuff that I took out of the fifth wheel....I am pretty sure that the "stuff fairy" has been paying regular visits, as I refuse to believe that I could actually have put that much stuff into the fifth wheel! The good thing is that I have found several things that I had been looking for! I swear, I need a Twelve-step program....one made especially for those that have to know how to do everything.....suppose they have one for that? I was talking to a friend last night, and telling her my sad tale, and then I said "maybe I'm a Hoarder"....but I don't think that fits, as I actually use everything I have. It has been mentioned that Max might possibly need a counseling session to maintain his sanity as he lives with my "stuff" all the time. I think he is doing fine....his eyes haven't rolled back in his head for several days.....and that foaming around his mouth isn't so noticable now....so I think he just might be coming to terms with it................

No comments: